Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sewing the Honey dress spin off

I just finished my 2013 Christmas dress :)

It’s actually an intense cherry red dull satin.
The pics make it look more a shiny tomato red Or a fuchsia pink depending on the monitor setting.

image

With the matching jacket and belt I made for it,it looks nice and dressy.

image




image

The main idea was to recreate the Honey dress from Trashy Diva with a better fit and fuller skirt.

I used Gertie’s Butterick 5882 for the bust part as a base, did a major FBA and took about 7 tries to get the right pattern for this one made. An unusual amount of try-outs and muslin went into making this .

image

The zipper is set in middle back down the skirt so the scoop back is not interrupted.



image

I also added some small sleeves because it needed something up there. The initially planned cascading arm drape did not work out well at all. To work with satin is challenging enough..the puckering and slipping away from the needle no matter how slow/fast and careful I set my stitches.

But satin chiffon- which I had planned for the arm drapes - is another curse all together! I really learned my limits with this dress and decided I will definitely stick to cottons! With the occasional excursion to brocade..but I will stay clear of those silky chiffons for now.

All in all this dress turned out ok, but is NOT at all my usual standard. Still lined and hand-stitch finished I feel that I could make this better in an easier to work with fabric. Maybe one other time…for now I’m done with that pattern.

Merry Christmas :)

Update:
here is me wearing the dress at the Christmas Party.
The pretty lady next to me is my sweet daughter in law.


3 comments:

  1. this dress looks fantastic! wow, well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaah, can't wait to see more post coming up. welcome to blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you SO much,wardrobeexperience!! I JUST saw your comments and it made me smile SO much. I didn't think anyone would see this blog yet.. Lol. SWEET! :)

    ReplyDelete